Show Me Your BLUE LIPS is a national awareness campaign and fundraiser by Journey Out, a non-profit, non-governmental organization whose mission is to help victims of commercial sexual exploitation and sex trafficking leave a life of abuse and violence, overcome their fears, and empower them to reach their full potential and achieve their goals. Journey Out carries out this mission by providing Victims and Survivors of human sex trafficking with critically needed basic resources, crisis and emergency services, wrap around services and social support, counseling, and more.
The purpose of the campaign is to bring attention to the prevalence of the public health epidemic of domestic human sex trafficking and help to foster an understanding of the risk factors related to human trafficking, and the obstacles that make it difficult for victims to escape"The Life".
DURATION: Journey Out is kicking off the Campaign on January 11, 2017 International Human Trafficking Awareness Day. It is an ongoing campaign running through December 2017. Hash Tags: #JourneyOut, #EndModernDaySlavery, #ShowMeYourBlueLips
WHO SHOULD GET INVOLVED? Everyone! Human sex trafficking affects everyone; regardless of race, ethnicity, sex/gender expression, and unfortunately even age. In fact, children could be the most vulnerable; and domestically the average entry age for trafficking is 12 -14 years. However trafficking does not stop when someone turns 18. Victims are exploited and abused over the life course.
All are invited to accept the Show Us Your BLUE LIPS Challenge to help amplify the epidemic of domestic human sex trafficking.
Everyone across race, ethnicity, and gender expression are invited to accept the Blue Lips Challenge to help amplify the epidemic of domestic human sex trafficking, which includes the following sobering statistics:
- Sex trafficking is a lucrative industry which rakes in $150 billion globally.
- Between 14,500 and 17,500 people are trafficked into the U.S. each year. States with the greatest concentration of trafficked persons are New York, California, and Florida; Washington DC also has a large trafficked population.
- The average age a teen enters the sex trade in the U.S. is 12 to 14-year-old. Many victims are runaway girls who were sexually abused as children.~80% of trafficked persons are women and children.
WHY BLUE LIPS?
BLUE is the National Awareness Color for Human Trafficking. It essentially symbolizes the injury, pain, hurt, and despair that victims of human trafficking experience.
LIPS are the gateway to the mouth, the organs that we used to Speak Out and Speak Up, something that is critical to any Awareness efforts.
We would like you to use your BLUE LIPS to:
- Engage in conversations about human sex trafficking.
- Be empowered to tell your own story.Call for needed policy changes.
- Reject indifference about the epidemic of modern day slavery that helps to keep victims of trafficking invisible.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE BLUE LIPS CAMPAIGN? Participation is simple; and we challenge YOU to take ACTION today!
1.SHOW us your blue lips. Take the challenged by wearing BLUE LIPS. Download the campaign sign, put on your best pout, smile the camera, and take a Selfie picture using the hash tags #JourneyOut, #EndModernDaySlavery, #ShowMeYourBlueLips.
The sign can be downloaded here: https://docs.google.com/a/journeyout.org/document/d/1nqtaTNd8BfGlNxDaN4eIaTYavJj0dPaOUxIyhvT7Hwc/edit?usp=sharing
2.SHARE Change your profile picture on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and all other social media to your BLUE LIPS pic, and help to get the conversation started about domestic human sex trafficking, by drawing Awareness to the epidemic.
- Follow Journey Out on Facebook and Twitter and share our posts about the campaign, as well as our many informative posts regarding Trafficking.
- Encourage others to show their BLUE LIPS and get involved in the campaign.
3.DONATE Contribute to Journey Out at any amount and support us in our efforts of providing critical resources and trauma-informed, culturally sensitive services to victims and Survivors of human sex trafficking. TO MAKE A DONATION:
- DONATE ONLINE WITH PAYPAL OR CREDIT CARD through our website: http://journeyout.org/donate
- DONATE BY CHECK: Send your donation to: Journey Out, 7136 Haskell Ave, Suite 125, Van Nuys CA 91406.
- Please note BLUE LIPS Campaign on your check and in the box on the Donation page.